Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

So many feelings today.  This is a holiday weekend...along with that comes the celebration of a three day weekend....the fact that we don't have to go to "work" on Monday!  Some many things we could do!  Gee, how do I spend the three days I have coming?

I want to celebrate.....but more from a selfish point of view.  I want to spend the time doing what I want to do.  But there is a nagging thought that is just hanging in my consciousness....

This weekend is about those who gave their lives for our freedom...and those who continue to keep us safe and fight for our freedom.  I know....personally...of some of those who served...and are still serving.  Here's to my biological Grandfather who spent many years as a Supply Officer in WW 1 and WW2...my "Step" Grandfather who served in the Seabees during WWII and beyond....my Dad, who was not drafted because he was in charge of building war planes at Convair in San Diego...and to my ex-husband who served in the Submarine Service during our years of marriage...and my ex-father-in-law who served until retirement...and David...and Keith....and to my husband Lee....and my brother-in-law, Harvey, and the list goes on and on.....

In "another life"...MANY years ago...I was part of that life...I held down the home-front...and raised children on my own...and lived as a "single-parent"...  Those who have never known that type of sacifice will never realize how difficult it really is.......

I'm not too political ...and keep my thoughts and views to myself ...(after all, half of you would agree with me...half of you would not)...but it stands true to all....we are grateful for the sacrifice you make for all of us...always!

To those of you who serve now...and who served in the past...thank you from the bottom of my heart for the ultimate gift you have given to all of us.....

No comments:

Post a Comment