Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dad, You Are Always With Me!

Today would have been my Dad's 99th birthday.  It's not...because he passed in June 1994.  I miss him so very much (he always thought I was the "world")...but I know he's always around....it's my belief........

My children knew him as "Grandpa Gray".  Certainly NOT the same Dad that raised me!  He was a much gentler and kinder Grandpa!  I guess, as we all learn, that being a "parent" is MUCH different than being a "GRAND-parent".  He loved me and he loved my children.

When I was young...as most daughters maybe...my Dad was the "be-all-end-all".  What Dad said was LAW.  Maybe it was the times...maybe that's how it used to be...I don't know.  I just know when my Dad was M-A-D....I stayed just out of arm's reach!  He very seldomed cursed or raised his voice ...but, trust me, there was NO doubt if he was mad or not!  :)

Again, you have to remember, I'm an only child and ...that changes the whole scene!  That spot light followed me everywhere I went and shone on everything I did!  My parents were married 11 years when I was born...and, actually, I was a BIG surprise!  It was my Dad who named me...after a woman he knew at work by the same name.  He thought the name was pretty and it was his choice.

But through the years, my Dad was always my biggest fan.  I didn't realize that until I was fully grown and had children of my own.  My Dad never weaved in his faith and trust and love for me....and for my children.

Daddy went to bat for me on many occasions through all my growing up years...even visiting my counselor in high school to find out just "why" I said I didn't have enough credits to go to college.  Well, ya see,...I lied!  I KNEW I had enough credits but I wasn't sure I WANTED to go to college!  Dang!  Caught again!  I went to college.  Then when I got in trouble for parking on the street in front of the high school (instead of the school lot)...my Dad went to the school to "point out" to them that it was a PUBLIC street and his daughter could park there anytime she wanted!  Way to go Dad!  :)

Daddy I'll never forget how much you loved me...and how proud of me you were.  You were always there for me...and as I grow older, I see more and more of YOU in ME!  Happy 99th birthday my Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment