Sunday, May 15, 2011

Does Anyone Play Anymore?

This will date me.  I know it will.  I can't escape it...I'm part of the "Baby Boomer" generation...and just by a few months.  Actually, I think the Baby Boomers are considered to have been born in 1946 through 1954.  Correct me if I'm wrong (which, I confess, I often am).

Anyway...I want to state (for the record)....what my favorite pastime was as a child.  Most of you won't care...but some might find some interest!

Jacks!  Does anyone play "Jacks" anymore?  Do you even KNOW what "Jacks" are?  I LOVED playing Jacks on my front porch.  It was especially fun during the summer when my Mom would let me stay out until after dark!

Most of the time I played by myself (only child you know).  But sometimes I played with a good friend... Alyce or Tia.  I must say....I was a VERY GOOD jacks-player!  I nearly ALWAYS won!  I practiced all the time..that porch of ours was a perfect place to practice. I loved the game...I loved my porch...I loved staying out until the only light available was the dim glow of that porch light!  I loved the warm San Diego summer evenings and the freedom my Mother gave me to stay out "after dark"...of course, as long as I was "on the porch"!

It's a favorite memory of mine...those nights I spent with a friend on that porch....I go back to that time when I need to re-focus myself....when I want to bring back my youth and remember what it used to be like...when I was just a "kid" growing up in the '50's...

Of course....I have to say....I was good at "marbles" (winning all my neighbor Dale's "cats-eyes")...and tetherball too (pays to be the tallest in the class)...oh, and "four-square" was a favorite (again, it helps to be the tallest in the class!)

Do children have games they play...at recess....or lunch...or after school?  Have times changed so much that children no longer delight in innocent games.....no bullying and no pre-determined ideas?

I wonder....

No comments:

Post a Comment