Sunday, February 13, 2011

Birthday parties...on the other side!

I went to a birthday party today.  It was for one of my "extended" family...a family I love...although it has taken some effort since I've most always felt like an outsider.  It's getting easier I think..I hope..

Birthday parties for that side of the family are very important.  They have one for each family member...whether it's a "special" birthday (you know, 21 or 30 or 50 or 75 or...we haven't reached anyone OLDER yet..just wait, it's coming!).

I LIKE that we can get together and celebrate each other...I really do.  I like the chance to share and to be part of that "side".  I WANT to be a part...always being very careful not to step on any part of history that is not mine.  These are not my biological children...although I've been a part of their life (in one form or another) for the 34 years (almost 35) that their Dad and I have been connected.

I had a good time....I enjoyed the company...I looked forward to being with these people.  If it takes the birthday parties to bring us together...then I hope for many more birthdays and many more times I can share time with the "other side"!

1 comment:

  1. I too went to a birthday party today & I do love everyone that was there, even those that were missing because of it" not being a special birthday" or some other excuse!

    I too at times have felt like an outsider for different reasons. Not being married legally, being a little different in the way I see things & express them. And from not being from these parts of town. Also, if something bothers me, I don't hold it in & I need to vent or express myself, maybe that's a NY thing, but I feel its healthy.

    I generally always have a good time & look forward to any family time, because this is my only family. I really don't have anyone else. The ones I count on, depend on, can talk to & laugh with... you are all it.

    If you are not at a family function, for me it ain't the same. So guess we have similar feelings & will have to help each other when we know the other one needs an extra smile or nudge.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete